Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday, 5/23/08

Today Mom and I started doing something we haven't done since I was a child: we began reading a novel together.

I had been looking through her books in the living room searching for something good to read when I came upon something that looked interesting. It was a book called "The Weeping Chamber." As I pulled it out I asked mom if she remembered if it was very good or not. She said she didn't remember and that she hadn't ever read it all the way through. When I asked her if I could borrow it, she suggested that we read it together instead. She said Marcia had told her that the Scotts read as a family every night and that she thought it sounded like a good idea. I remember doing it when I was in elementary school (or around that time anyway), although mom only remembers reading stories to me at night when I was younger.

Tonight, we read the first 4 chapters of The Weeping Chamber. Mom has a hard time reading because she needs new glasses, so I read aloud to her. It seems like it's going to be a really good book. I even wanted to keep going, but mom was getting tired so we called it a night. I have a feeling I am really going to like the book though. It's about two men who live during the week of the greatest drama in history (the week leading up to Jesus' Crucifixion). We see all the events through their eyes. The inside flap says that "through their eyes we see Caiaphas, Herod, Pilate, and Judas - and understand the all-too-human motivations that we share with them."

If the book keeps being as good as it is, I would recommend reading it. But, since I'm only on chapter 4, I can't say for sure just how good it is. However, I have an inkling it's going to be great. Not just the book, but spending quality time with my mom.

Have a great day and God Bless! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You haven't posted in forever! Love you. :)

ScribblinScribe said...

Tag...you're it! For a meme.