Monday, April 7, 2008

3:45 AM, Monday Morning

Here I sit, once again, unable to sleep. However, unlike the other times, I used the opportunity to read my Bible. Ok, first I watched music videos from Christian artists on YouTube, but for the last 1 1/2 hours I have been reading my Bible. It is amazing how you can get so absorbed in it. I started out reading John 17 because a dear friend of mine had given me some notes on it and I had yet to go over them. Then I went on to 2 Corinthians 5 because I had some questions about it and felt they would best be answered by reading it rather than asking questions. Or atleast read it before I ask the questions. Anyway, I got so lost in reading about Paul that I was finishing the book before I knew it. I still can't believe I read 9 chapters (not counting 1 or 2 from John).

The reason I am writing this blog is because while reading 2 Corinthians 5 I took some notes I thought some people might be interested in reading. I must warn you though, I am by no means an expert. Far from it in fact. I encourage you to get your Bible out (whether it be right next to you or under a foot of dust on your bookshelf) and read it for yourself. The notes I have taken are a mix of study notes in my Bible and my own interpretation of what it says, mainly the latter. Now that I have let you know, let us begin.

Like I said before, the notes I took were over 2 Corinthians 5. In verses 1-8 Paul compares our earthly bodies to our future resurrection bodies. This is really neat because our old bodies will pass away and we will be given new, perfect ones that will last us for eternity! Can you imagine having a body that doesn't ache? Being able to do yardwork without being sore after? Pretty amazing stuff! Because of this (among other reasons of course!) we shouldn't be afraid of death, we should embrace it! Now, I don't mean go out and do something crazy like kill yourself, but "be anxious of nothing." (Don't ask me where that's found, I only know it's somewhere in the Bible. Like I said, I'm not an expert. ;-))

Verses 9 and 10 remind us that we will be judged. Now this concerned me because, like most people, I have committed some pretty serious sins in my lifetime. Upon further investigation, I discovered that this "judgment" that the Christians will go through isn't going to be a punishment. In Matthew 16:27 it says that "He will reward each according to his works." Phew! Praise Jesus! Now, that doesn't mean that we get off scott-free and can sin whenever we want. God's free gift (salvation) doesn't free us from having to faithfully obey Him.

This thought coincided with what I read in verses 13-15. Verse 15 says, "He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again." (Aren't you glad He rose again? I am!) Because Christ died for us, we need to live for Him, not ourselves. It's the least we can do.

Verse 20 says that we are Christ's ambassadors and we represent Him in everything we say and do. Now, this can be hard work at first. I especially struggle in the area of glorifying Him in everything I say. I've heard from several other people that they have that problem as well. But, with Christ, all things are possible!

Verse 21 refers to Christ's death on our behalf so that "we might become the righteousness of God in Him." This verse is amazing if you think about it. Christ died for YOU so that YOU could become righteous and go to Heaven. It always amazes me to think about what He went through on the cross for you and me.

While reading and studying the last 5 verses of this chapter, Ray Boltz' song (I'm pretty sure he's the one who sings it) "I Surrender All" came on the radio. I can't think of a more fitting song for the topic. For those of you who aren't familiar with the song, or haven't heard it in awhile, the chorus goes:

I surrender all my silent hopes and dreams
Though the price to follow costs me everything
I surrender all my human soul desires
If sacrifice requires
That all my kingdoms fall
I surrender all
It is now 4:35 AM. I am signing off in hopes of getting a little bit of sleep before I have to get up for school. God bless you and have a wonderful day!



2 comments:

ScribblinScribe said...

Amber! It's so exciting to read your notes from your reading! Isn't it amazing how we convince ourselves the Word is boring, only to be disproven if we'll just give it a chance...taste and see that Yahweh is good! Not taste and see IF Yahweh is good. ;)

Love you.

Lauren said...

Aw, Amber!!! It's SO encouraging to read what you've been learning and to see what the Lord is doing in your heart, giving you a love for His word and a desire to please Him in everything! Press on toward that goal! And yes, the reward at the end of this life will be great--just to be with our Savior will be more joy than we can now imagine! He's so good!

I love you!
~Lauren